Nose work is an extremely fun dog sport that engages your dog by teaching them to use their nose. This is a sport that you can play anytime, anywhere and gives your dog a great outlet for extra energy.
Unlike many dog sports, dogs of any ability level and age can participate, and many benefit greatly from nose work. It is especially useful for building confidence in shy or fearful dogs and tiring out young, energetic dogs.
*To find out about private in-home nose work sessions, email Patrice@ingoodpawsdt.com*
- Intro to Nose Work: Using boxes and food, this class teaches your dog how to systematically search an area and locate the source of an odor. It focuses on building drive and stamina for the search. Building enthusiasm in the beginning is important (capitalizes on the newness) and using a primary reinforcer (food) is an easy way to do this!
- Intro to Odor: Each student is given an odor kit (tin and birch scented q-tips) for at home practice. Using the techniques from Intro to Nose Work, we now teach our dogs to search specifically for the scent birch. (Pre-requisite: Intro to Nose Work)
- Continuing Nose Work: Drop-in style class where we introduce new search elements (containers, vehicles, and exteriors) and other odors (anise and clove). Prep for nose work competitions or just have fun! (Pre-requisite: Intro to Odor)
$175 for each 6 week course
Training Equipment Needed For Course
- 6′ leash (not retractable)
- Flat collar or harness (no prong collars, choke chains, shock collars, or face leads allowed)
- A variety of your dog’s favorite soft treats (lots! cut up into very small pieces in a treat holder you can hook onto your clothes)
Each class is 6 weeks long; 90 minutes/class; class size limit is 8 dogs
- Class Full- waitlist started. Intro to Nose Work: Mondays from 5:00-6:30pm starting February 3rd, 2020 at Matrix Dog-Week 1: 02/03-Week 2: 02/10-Week 3: 02/17-Week 4: 02/24-Week 5: 03/02-Week 6: 03/09
- Intro to Odor (pre-req: Intro to Nose Work): Mondays from 5:00-6:30pm starting March 16th, 2020 at Matrix Dog
-Week 1: 03/16
-Week 2: 03/23
-Week 3: 03/30
-Week 4: 04/06
-Week 5: 04/13
-Week 6: 04/20
- Continuing Nose Work: Mondays at 7pm- Matrix Dog and Sundays at 1:30pm- Team Spirit Agility
Email Patrice@ingoodpawsdt.com to register today!
Team Spirit Agility: 8910 W 52nd Ave, Arvada, CO 80002
Matrix Dog: 9975 Wadsworth Pkwy M4, Westminster, CO 80021
To find out about private in-home nose work sessions email Patrice@ingoodpawsdt.com
Health Note: All dogs must be healthy and current on all vaccinations (puppies need age-appropriate vaccinations and adult dogs need at least distemper and rabies— titer tests are accepted).